About Me

My photo
New Jersey, United States
I am the wife of a wonderful husband and the mom of three super adult kids and their spouses. I also proudly have five adorable grandsons. I happily taught preschool for 25 years. When I'm not with my grandsons I spend much of my time indulging in my "Quilty Pleasures."

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sunday Soup-athon


Barley-Beef Soup


  •   12   oz       beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
  •    1   T       vegetable oil
  •    7   C       beef broth (~64 oz)
  •    1   C       chopped onion
  •   1/2 C       chopped celery
  •    1    t       dried oregano
  •   1/4  t       black pepper
  •    2            garlic cloves, minced
  •    1            bay leaf
  •    1   C       frozen mixed vegetables
  •    1 can      diced tomatoes, undrained (14.5 oz)
  •    1   C       1/2-inch cubed peeled potatoes
  •   2/3 C       quick-cooking barley

  1. In a large pot, brown meat in hot oil.  Stir in broth, onion, celery, oregano, pepper, garlic, and bay leaf.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, for 90 minutes.
  2.  
  3. Stir in frozen vegetables, undrained tomatoes, potatoes, and barley.  Return to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender.  Discard bay leaf.
  4.  
     
    This recipe was found in The Better Homes and Gardens New CookBook, 15th edition
     
     
 Until next time.....Happy Stitching!

Sharyn


No comments:

Post a Comment