- 12 oz beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 7 C beef broth (~64 oz)
- 1 C chopped onion
- 1/2 C chopped celery
- 1 t dried oregano
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 C frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (14.5 oz)
- 1 C 1/2-inch cubed peeled potatoes
- 2/3 C quick-cooking barley
- In a large pot, brown meat in hot oil. Stir in broth, onion, celery, oregano, pepper, garlic, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 90 minutes.
- Stir in frozen vegetables, undrained tomatoes, potatoes, and barley. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes more or until meat and vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf.
This recipe was found in The Better Homes and Gardens New CookBook, 15th edition.
Until next time.....Happy Stitching!