- 3 medium eggplant (~3 1/4 lbs.)
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 T butter
- 2 slices firm white bread, processed into coarse crumbs
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 C shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 t coarsely ground pepper
- 4 C tomato sauce, warmed
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease 2 large cookie sheets. Trim ends from eggplant, then cut them lengthwise into 1/2 " thick slices. Arrange in a single layer on cookie sheets; brush with oil and sprinkle with salt.
2. Bake eggplant 25 - 30 minutes, or until tender and golden, rotating sheets and turning over slices halfway through cooking. Remove from oven and reduce temperature to 350 degrees.
3. For the topping: Melt butter over medium heat in a 10" nonstick skillet. Add bread crumbs and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl. Add 1/2 cup mozzarella and 2 T grated Parmesan, and toss well.
4. For the filling: Mix ricotta, remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella, remaining 2 T grated Parmesan and pepper in a medium bowl.
5. To assemble, spread 1 cup tomato sauce evenly into a 9" x 13" glass baking dish. Arrange half of eggplant on top, overlapping the slices. Top with another 1 cup sauce, then dollops of cheese filling. Top cheese with 1 cup sauce, remaining eggplant and remaining 1 cup sauce. Sprinkle top with bread-crumb mixture.
6. Cover dish with foil; bake 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15 more minutes. Let stand 10 minutes for easier serving.
Until Next Time...Happy Stitching!!!