Mexican Chicken-Tortilla Soup
* 2 medium chicken breasts
* 1 can (14oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth
* 1/2 C chopped onion
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1/2 t ground cumin
* 1 T cooking oil
* 1 can (14oz) no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
* 1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
* 1 can (4oz) whole green chilies, rinsed, seeded, and cut into thin
* 1/4 C snipped fresh parsley (or 1/8 C dried flakes)
* 1 T snipped fresh oregano (or 1 t dried oregano)
* 4 (6 inch) tortillas
* 1/2 C shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
1. In a large sauce pan or pot combine chicken, chicken broth, and 1 3/4 C water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle finely shred chicken; set aside. Strain broth. Skim fat from broth and set broth aside.
2. In the same sauce pan or pot cook onion, garlic, and cumin in hot oil until onion is tender. Stir in strained broth, undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilies, parsley, and oregano. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Stir in chicken; heat through.
3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375*F. Cut tortillas in half. Cut each half crosswise into 1/2-inch-wide strips. Place tortilla strips on a baking sheet. Bake about 10 minutes or until crisp.
4. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle each serving with shredded cheese and top with tortilla strips. Serve immediately.
Until Next Time.....Happy Stitching!!!