2 T Olive Oil
1 Medium Onion, Chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, Sliced
1 Can (28 oz) Whole Tomatoes
1 Can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce
2 T Tomato Paste
2 t. Sugar
1/4 t. Salt
1/4 t. Black Pepper
1 Can (14.5 oz) Basil-and-Oregano Diced Tomatoes, Drained
1/2 C Fresh Basil Leaves, Chopped
Ziti & Cheese
1 Box (16 oz) Ziti
1 Bag (8 oz) Shredded Part-Skim Mozzarella Cheese
1/4 C Grated Parmesan Cheese
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 13x9x2 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Sauce - Heat oil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook 4 minutes. Add garlic cook another minute. Stir in whole tomatoes and their juice, breaking tomatoes apart with a wooden spoon or potato masher. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, salt and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
3. Remove pan from heat. Stir in diced tomatoes and basil.
4. Ziti and Cheese - Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling, Add ziti; boil 10 minutes, stirring. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add half the sauce to bowl with ziti. Stir to coat. Pour ziti mixture into prepared dish. Top with remaining sauce and then sprinkle with the cheeses.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes.
Serve with a salad and bread.