About Me

My photo
New Jersey, United States
I am the wife of a wonderful husband and the mom of three super adult kids and their spouses. I also proudly have five adorable grandsons. I happily taught preschool for 25 years. When I'm not with my grandsons I spend much of my time indulging in my "Quilty Pleasures."

Friday, January 20, 2012

My Dear Jane Journey

Two years ago I set out on a journey that has been both frustrating and rewarding.  I discovered the Dear Jane quilt.  This quilt was pieced and appliqued by Jane A. Blakely Stickle in the 1800's.  It was completed in 1863.




  It consists of 169 blocks, 52 border triangles and 4 corner kites.  It is 5602 pieces!  The original can be viewed in The Bennington Museum in Bennington, Vermont.

I have been working on my own version of this quilt since 2010.  I am using only shades of blue and cream as I work on my quilt.  Currently I have completed 144 blocks and 34 border triangles.  I have used 3698 pieces (yes, I have counted every one!)  Here is a picture of the five blocks I have finished most recently.  Each block will finish at 4 1/2" X 4 1/2".



I am using the book, Dear Jane, by Brenda Manges Papadakis.  It is so rewarding to take each block and try to figure out a way to reproduce it.  At the same time, many of the blocks frustrate me when I can't get them to look just like Jane's blocks.  My goal is to complete my "Baby Jane" by the end of 2012.  When I am done I plan on visiting the Bennington Museum to see the original pieced and appliqued by Jane A. Stickle. 

As I complete more blocks I will post pictures. 

I am off to play with Annie.

Until next time......

Sharyn

 

No comments:

Post a Comment