This has been a VERY busy week for me. Along with all my regular things to do I've been dealing with a broken dryer. We were greeted with this annoyance when we got back from vacation on August 17th. The repairman has been scheduled to come 5 times and he has actually shown up 3 times (I'll save the two NO-shows for another post.) Two hundred and twenty-five dollars later he has yet to figure out what is wrong with it. I really don't mind hanging my clothes on the line to dry...in reality, I actually like it. Unfortunately the weather has not been cooperating. I watch the Weather Channel and try to time my drying sessions for non-rain times. Even so, it seems as soon as I get the wet laundry on the line, the rain starts. So back out I go to take it all down. It has been so rainy lately and the repairman is not scheduled to come back until Thursday. UGH!!!
The Week of August 27, 2012
1. Complete the quilt I am making for Quilts for Kids.
I used a pattern from the book Quilts for Baby - Easy as ABC by Ursula Reikes.
With a little tweaking I was able to make the pattern fit the Quilts For Kids requirements. It is so bright and colorful. I hope it helps to cheer a sweet child going through some serious health issues.
2. Work on the two blocks I need for PQW Saturday Sampler.
I am happy with the way these two blocks turned out. Our Saturday Sampler group meets this week.
3. Start working on my friend Kathy's Memory Quilt for her friend's daughter's first birthday.
I have been very busy designing, piecing and quilting this memory quilt for my friend, Kathy.
The final dimensions are 65" x 65". I added a triple inner border and a pretty pinwheel outer border. I will buy some fabric for the binding tomorrow and should be able to get it done this week.
4. Shop for an embroidery machine. I was able to narrow my search to three embroidery machines: the Bernina 830, the Brother Quatro 2, and the Baby Lock Ellisimo Gold.
And the winner is..........
The Ellisimo Gold.
I should be able to get this new toy on Wednesday.
Sending a big "Thank You" to my friends Jan and Lynne for all your time, expertise and patience with me as I made this big decision.
5. Finish quilting my Farmer's Wife quilt on Annie.
My VERY LARGE Farmer's Wife quilt has been quilted with a Baptist Fan pattern and the binding has been applied. It consists of 111, set on point, 6" blocks. I will save the specifics of this quilt for a Show & Tell Tuesday but suffice it to say, this was a VERY ambitious project...and I made TWO of them. I've only quilted this Civil War repro fabric version. My 1930's repro fabric version has yet to be quilted.
6. Make a whole bunch of bean bags for a game to be played at my friend's wedding reception. I still haven't made the bean bags because I left the fabric I purchased for them at the quilt shop. I had it cut and then walked right out of the store without it. Sometimes I wonder.......haha!
I was also able to get three labels done this week.
As predicted, this was a very busy week and the one to follow appears to be as well.
The Week of September 3, 2012
Is is really September already? Where did the summer go?
In honor of the USC Trojans, I will make my To Do list using the colors of Cardinal and Gold.
1. Attend the Syracuse vs. USC football game at MetLife Stadium. The Trojans had a big win last week beating Hawaii 49-10 at the Coliseum. Marqise Lee (#9) caught a 75-yard touchdown pass from Matt Barkley (#7) on the first play from scrimmage and he had a 100 yard kickoff return for a TD.
It has been a very long time since I've been able to see my beloved Trojans play in person...at least 25 years. I can't wait for Saturday!
2. Work on some of the Craftsy Blocks of the Month that I have missed.
3. Attend Quilts for Kids at PQW. I will turn in the quilt that I finished this week. I plan on making a quilt with Halloween themed fabric this month.
4. Complete the Binding on Kathy's Memory Quilt.
5. Attend PQW Saturday Sampler class.
6. Get my dryer repaired. Unfortunately this is out of my control but hopefully this week we will get it done.
7. Make the bean bags for the wedding on September 15th. I will pick up the fabric I chose for the bean bags tomorrow when I go to the fabric store. Then I will get busy. I am considering filling the "bean" bags with rice instead of beans because rice is less expensive. I will try one and see what it is like.
8. Make some potholders for Shea. It turns out the girls only have one pot holder in their new apartment. And knowing how much they love chocolate chip cookies, I had better get busy making them a few more.
9. Try once again to start Shea's Gray, Yellow and White quilt. Since this is #9 on my list there is a good chance I may not get to it again, but I will try.
I'm sure I am being overly ambitious with my list this week. We will see what happens.
Until Next Time.....Happy Stitching!!!