About Me

My photo
New Jersey, United States
I am the wife of a wonderful husband and the mom of three super adult kids and their spouses. I also proudly have five adorable grandsons. I happily taught preschool for 25 years. When I'm not with my grandsons I spend much of my time indulging in my "Quilty Pleasures."

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Show & Tell Tuesday (Carolina Crush & Orca Bay)

Show & Tell Tuesday

December is the month when Bonnie Hunter of Quiltville releases her annual mystery quilt.  

This year the mystery is called Allietare and it started the day after Thanksgiving.  Each week Bonnie releases a new clue until the quilt is complete.

This seemed the perfect time to share two past Quiltville mysteries.

Carolina Crush

Carolina Crush was the first Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt in which I participated.

This quilt was originally called Carolina Christmas because Bonnie lives in North Carolina and she used Christmas colors for her very scrappy quilt.




Being new to mystery quilts, I was very reluctant to make my quilt completely scrappy.  I was unsure if I would like a scrappy quilt.  

I decided to dive in and give it a try.   As you can tell, I did not make my quilt with red, green and gold like the original quilt, so I decided to change the name from Carolina Christmas to Carolina Crush.  I chose to use scrappy purples and teals, and I kept my black and white constant.  




I completed my quilt in 2010 and it measures 

94" X 94".


Orca Bay



By the time I started Orca Bay, scrappy quilting was no longer new to me.  





I embraced Bonnie's pattern and followed her colors of Red, White, Blue and Black.





Orca Bay was my first attempt at string piecing.  I love how the string blocks look.






I completed Orca Bay in 2014 and it measures 

82" X 90".

Until Next Time.....Happy Stitching!!!

Sharyn

No comments:

Post a Comment