About Me

My photo
New Jersey, United States
I am the wife of a wonderful husband and the mom of three super adult kids and their spouses. I also proudly have five adorable grandsons. I happily taught preschool for 25 years. When I'm not with my grandsons I spend much of my time indulging in my "Quilty Pleasures."

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Sunday Soup-athon

Corn Chowder


  •   3 C        frozen whole kernel corn or 6 ears fresh sweet corn
  • 1/2 C       chopped onion
  • 1/2 C       chopped sweet green pepper
  •   1 T        vegetable oil
  •  1 can      chicken broth (14 oz)
  •   1 C        cubed, peeled potato
  •   2 T        all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 C    half-and-half, light cream, or milk
  •   4 oz       white cheddar cheese, shredded (1C)
  • 3 slices     bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled

1.  If using fresh corn, use a sharp knife to cut the kernels off the cobs (you should have about 3 C corn kernels).  Set corn kernels aside.

2.  In a large saucepan cook onion and sweet pepper in hot oil until onion is tender.  Stir in corn, broth, and potato.  Bring to boiling; reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.

3.  In a medium-sized bowl combine flour, 1/2 t. salt, and 1/4 t. black pepper.  Stir half-and-half into flour mixture; add to corn mixture in saucepan.  Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.  Cook and stir for 1 minute more.  Stir in cheese and heat until melted and smooth.  Add bacon; heat through.



Until Next Time.....Happy Stitching!!!

Sharyn



No comments:

Post a Comment