About Me

My photo
New Jersey, United States
I am the wife of a wonderful husband and the mom of three super adult kids and their spouses. I also proudly have five adorable grandsons. I happily taught preschool for 25 years. When I'm not with my grandsons I spend much of my time indulging in my "Quilty Pleasures."

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Show & Tell Tuesday - Ryder's Big Boy Quilt

Show & Tell Tuesday

Ryder's Big Boy Quilt

Three or four years ago my DDIL, Heather, asked me to make a quilt for my DGS Ryder as he moved into his big boy bed from his crib.  

She showed me this picture of a quilt from 
Pottery Barn as inspiration.




I agreed to the challenge and chose these fabrics to use.  I arranged and then rearranged until I came up with a design that I thought was pleasing.
  


Then I started scouring the internet looking 
 for appliqué ideas.   




Now it was time to arrange these appliqué ideas in a way that looked balanced.



Working on the individual blocks was very rewarding.  I had to choose just the right fabrics for each block.

             





I used my living room floor to lay the blocks out to see if I needed to switch any of them around.


All the blocks have been sewn together.  
Hmmmm...what about borders?


I decided to add red, white & blue borders similar to the inspiration photo.


A background fabric and batting was chosen and I proceeded to quilt.
I love this Dallas Cowboy inspired helmet block!

A bias binding was added by machine and then...
it was hand sewn to the back of the quilt.

This is the completed quilt back on the living room floor.


Ryder LOVES his quilt!




WOW - he was so small when I gave him this quilt!

I made three matching pillow shams for him.



This is how Ryder's quilt looks now in his new bedroom.  

Since I made this quilt, I have also made a quilt for Ryder's brother, Logan.  I will share Logan's quilt in another Show & Tell Tuesday Post.

Until Next Time.....Happy Stitching!!!

Sharyn

No comments:

Post a Comment